Thursday 11 August 2011

Thing 11: Mentoring

Now this is something where I have to admit I have not done well, in that since Chartering, I haven't really had an official mentor.

When I was doing my graduate trainee year, my manager was my mentor holding meetings with me and discussing what I'd like to learn next. I also had a mentor when working for Chartership, following what used to be Route B (a Professional Development Report without following a recognised training scheme), my mentor was invaluable, as to be honest I was completely confused by the whole thing and really didn't know what way I was heading. I possibly owe him considerably more than I gave credit for at the time.

Since then, I've not really had a mentor. Like a number of cpd23 bloggers, I've mainly looked up to people and tried to emmulate what I thought was good and asked them for advice when I felt I needed it. I think this has helped in that I've tended to pick who is most likely to understand my situation. These haven't always been in the same organisation as myself and this I find is useful, since they can often give better advice being apart from what is happening.

In my current post, my line manager holds a one-to-one meeting once a month with me. This is useful for airing any problems we may have and to ask for advice. I've just changed line managers and I don't see my current manager as much as I'd like (sometimes only once everytwo or three weeks), so I often have a great long list of questions. I used to see my previous line manager at least three days a week and could just knock on the door with an "Only me!" comment. I think I found I got a lot from that manager/mentor relationship.

I would like to offer to be a mentor to someone, but no one has asked me (not sure what that says!) I also find that throughout the profession as a whole, librarians tend to be sharing and helpful and if you help them, they will help you in return. It is a friendly profession as a whole and I enjoy that.

1 comment:

  1. Anne-Maree Wigley16 August, 2011 09:59

    Having a manager who is accessible is so important. Like you, my previous line manager always had an "open door" policy, so you didn't have to wait for the more formal meetings to get things dealt with. I like to think we had a good working relationship, with benefits on both sides. I am not so lucky in my current position, which is frustrating.

    ReplyDelete