Tuesday 9 August 2011

Thing 9: Evernote

Where do I start with this? It's brilliant. Although I can't install it on PCs at work, I can easily log into a web version, I can also put it on my mobile. Here's to a new organised Nikki!! [Famous last words!]

It's easy to use, the screen is clear and best of all it has an elephant logo! [I'm a sucker for anything with an elephant on!]

I love the options to add tags allowing you to view saved items under one single "subject" (for want of a better word). So far I've really only saved websites and couple of images, but already, it's been a life saver in my home life. Like Anne-Maree of the WalkingLibrarianNZ, I think it would be brilliant at the Enquiry Desk to help deal with out of the ordinary enquiries or even common ones. We're trialling Delicious at work for this sort of thing, but I think Evernote can take us that much further.

I've only used this for personal things at the moment, but am itching to get into work to check I can log into the site there and see I can use it at work.

As for the elephants, I thought I would add a couple of photos from my holiday, where I spent a lovely afternoon in the company of lots of elephants at the Pattaya Elephant Village, a sort of retirement home for ex-working elephants. I got to feed them, climb on their backs, take them for a bathe, etc... I was in heaven!!

Unfortunately by this time I'd run out of food!

This is what you call teamwork.

4 comments:

  1. Anne-Maree Wigley09 August, 2011 11:10

    If the photos are anything to go by, you must have had an amazing holiday. Evernote is living up to its promise, on a personal level for me. It's just so useful. I've even started a "Christmas ideas" list for my family, as I've come across potential gifts on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki Herriott10 August, 2011 06:17

    It's really useful, I can write a reminder to myself to do something at work and can organise things so much better. Christmas ideas might be a bit too far for me, but on the other hand... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Librarydoodles25 August, 2011 09:32

    Wow, I love your photos of elephants - must have been great feeding them and spending time with them. And re Evernote, would be interested to hear how you get on using it at the enquiry desk (or using Delicious) - would that be with individual accounts or something shared for all staff to use?
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki Herriott26 August, 2011 05:23

    Mmm, not getting on so well. Delicious is still work in progress (we've had a reorganisation which has delayed loads of projects which were just about starting. As for Evernote - see my latest post... http://nikki-musingsfromalibrarian.blogspot.com/2011/08/frustration-reigns.html I can't even upload to Google Docs at work, which I've tried today. I'm beginning to get quite down about all these fabulous things which I just can't even demonstrate to show how brilliant they are... :-(

    ReplyDelete